South Africans in Qatar
Sawbouna! Welkom! Welcome!
This group is for anyone from South Africa to talk about how they miss the rugby, cricket, soccer and crime!
We are moving to a flat and can't take our Dstv with us!! No rugby, no Egoli( like i watch that, really!). We still have a few months left on the contract and it is easily renewable. If anyone is keen to buy this,please send me a pm and i will give u all the details.
I would like to introduce myself, David. Young outging 50's. I will be alone for the first six month,untill my wife arrives so making new freinds is important to making my stay enjoyable.
I want to get into Qatar life quickly, to know what to do, where to go, where the best place is is to buy RSA manufactured food, eg allgold tomato. etc.
Accomodation is the only financially scary item to overcome so if anyone has suggestions for the first six months?.
Just thought you'd want to know that MegaMart is selling Ceres juice for QR5.50 a box. Yum!
Given how many South Africans work at AlJazeera, I thought you'd bw interested to know that AlJazeera English will go live on MultiChoice's DStv platform on Channel 62 today (Friday, 31 May 2007)
The folks who switch on back home will be greeted with familiar faces as AlJazeera English sports at least four South African anchors/reporters.
From left to right:
- Imran Garda, formerly of SuperSport is now a News Anchor in Doha, Qatar
- Jane Dutton, formerly of SABC, CNN, BBC and CNBC is a Presenter
- Anand Naidoo, formerly of CNN International, SABC and 702 (and a Rhodes Grad) is anchoring from the Washinton DC office and sometimes stands in for Riz Khan on the Riz Khan Show
- Kalay Maistry, formerly of eTV and SABC is now reporting from South Africa
- Mike Hannah, AlJazeera roaming correspondent
- Jonah Hull, AlJazeera Moscow Correspondent
Oh, and did I mention that the current Director-General of AlJazeera, Wadah Khanfar actually started out as the Southern African Bureau Chief in the 90s and was based in Johannesburg?
It just goes to prove that local is not only lekker, but international too ;)
So now, at least when someone back home asks "You live where? Where is Qatar?!" you can just reply "it's where AlJazeera comes from" ;)
Questions and Answers
- Sample Budget and Cost of Living
- Qatar Schools Database
- Residents Guide to Qatar
- Siteseeing in Qatar
- Traffic Rules
- Attending a Qatari Wedding
- Gift ideas from Qatar
- Buying a used car in Qatar
- Renting in Qatar
- What to consider when renting in Qatar
- Preparing for Winter in Qatar
- Registering a birth in Qatar
- Blackberry phones in Qatar
- Old Qatar
- What's Happening in Qatar
- Online Shopping in Qatar
- What does Doha look like?